Sunday, October 15, 2006

Knittin' with Roadkill!!!


This summer, I was reading Bekka's blog, and she was starting a gift for a family member with possum yarn. I couldn't believe it! She said that it was very soft and warm, so I was on a mission to find some. I check my favorite LYS's and found some at Woolbearers. I love this LYS because they have the most gorgeous wool that they spin and dye on the premises. So I am working on more Christmas knitting - neckwarmers!
I love the pattern - it knits up really fast, and it is so pretty. The yarn is soft! It's a little fuzzy, too. Before you say "Ee-www!!" let me tell you, it is fun to joke about knitting roadkill, but this yarn is a merino-possum mix from Down Under, and should not really be confused with that piney delicacy, opossum. From what I understand they are a completely different animal. But this is really nice yarn! I can't believe that Cherry Tree Hill has discontinued it! The colorways are little on the expensive side ($15.95 for a 50 g skein), but the solids are about half that price. I think it is worth it for a little something special.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love that title! it's the best yet. when i first got the possum, i thought it was the kind around here, but the more i heard about it, i learned about it being a different creature all together. slightly disappointing, but... hope you're enjoying it! it's super soft.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever hear from the person you sent the socks to? Are you still in the fight?

Love the Tahki! I have heard great things about that yarn, but have never tried it.

I did get some Cherry Tree Hill Possum and made myself some gloves! The colors of yours looks great! It doesn't itch even at the wrists, and there are wools I can handle on my wrists.

Anonymous said...

I'm spinning merino/opossum fiber right now! It is a very warm, nice yarn but let me tell you, it's a pain in the arse to spin *pout*

Your scarf is gorgeous and yes, it will be fun to tell people they're wearing possum :P