1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I prefer natural fibers, but I do use a lot of acrylic baby yarn for my Preemie Project knitting. I'm not too big on novelty yarns, especially anything "furry".
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a wonderful tube needle case for my DPNs, and a binder/organizer for my circs. I usually store my straights in a large snowman mug on my dresser.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for about 2 years. A co-worker made an amazing Fair Isle sweater, and she taught me. I also learn a lot of things by just trying them on my own. I would consider myself an adventurous intermediate knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
I like vanilla and cinnamon scents, florals are nice but a lot of them make me sneeze.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Hand over the chocolate and no one will get hurt .... ;) The darker, the better :)
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I do lots of different needlecrafts - counted cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, crochet. I don't spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like lots of different music, but especially like blues and jazz. I listen to just about everything except heavy metal and rap/hip hop. Yes, I can play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite colors are watery colors - blues greens and greys in all shades from pastels to bright vibrant colors. There really aren't any colors that I dislike.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
My kids are grown, and I live with my boyfriend. We don't have any pets, and are allergic to cats.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
It it is really really cold, I will wear a winter scarf, as long as it is not furry. I like wraps, but haven't worn a poncho since I was a kid in the late 60's.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, socks, socks!! I always have a couple of pair OTN, and belong to a British sock club from Natural Dye Studios. I also like to knit baby items for charity.
13. What are you knitting right now?
3 pair of socks (for me)
Nantucket Jacket (for me)
baby sweater (for The Preemie Project)
burial wrap (for The Preemie Project)
hats (for a homeless shelter for teens)
a tote bag (for the International Tote Exchange 3)
a purse (for the Knitted Purse Swap 2)
Central Park Hoodie (for someone else - late Christmas present)
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
They are the best!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
It depends on the project. I like DPNs for socks, straights for baby items, and circs for larger items. Definately bamboo for the DPNs, metal for the circs. My straights are a combination.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope, I have TRHM to hold yarn for me and help me wind it into balls. He loves to do that, and felt a little put out when he was busy one night and I used the back of a chair. So much so that he stopped what he was doing and sat on the couch to hold the yarn for me.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
4 months - an overdue Christmas present
18. What is your favorite holiday?
That is a tough question - I would say it is a tie between Halloween and 4th of July. I love Halloween because it is the start of the holiday party season for me. Since I grew up on an Army base, I love 4th of July because we are all very patriotic in our family.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Ladybugs, and frogs, but only if they are NOT eating ladybugs ...
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits. I would love to have Early Arrivals 2 from Sirdar. I am always on the lookout for cool sock patterns (I have Sensational Knitted Socks, but would really love the second book), and sweet baby patterns. I wear a large size, so most patterns have to be altered.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to learn Fair Isle knitting. I knit Continental, so I need to get better at English knitting so I can go on to Fair Isle.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I wear a size 9 1/2 shoe.
23. When is your birthday?
July 6th. Same day as my sister, but she is not my twin :)