I joined another swap - The Felted Bag Swap. We are going to swap socks. Oh, no, wait, what are we swapping again??? Oh, yeah! A felted bag ... *grin*
1. How long have you been knitting or crochetting? How did you learn?
I have been knitting for almost 2 years, and I have been crochetting for ...GULP... 30 years. I learned to crochet by looking at pictures in a crochet pattern book. When I was about 13, one of the big fads was a doll with long curly legs and arms. I loved them and made a zillion of them. They looked kind of like the M&M guys in drag. I learned to knit when Jenn brought in her unbelievabley gorgeous Fair Isle sweaters that she was making as gifts in to work one day. She taught me - she is the bestest knitting teacher in the world :)
2. What are your favorite yarns to knit\crochet felted bags with?
I have felted with Woolbearer's Handpainted, Cascade 220, KnitPicks Wool of the Andes, Lamb's Pride, and Jamieson's. All have felted well, and I really don't have a favorite. The color is the most important thing - it has to be the right color for the project.
3. What are your favorite needles to knit\crochet with?
It depends on what I am knitting - I like DPNs for socks, and KnitPicks Options for other items. I have a large selection of straights and circs, and it really just depends on the projects. I use Boyle crochet hooks.
4. What are the last 3 bags you knitted\crochetted (include URL for Yahoo! or flickr album or your blog if you have them!)? You can also link to patterns if you don't have pictures of your finished objects!
a) a green cabled bag with bamboo handles for my Knitted Purse Swap 2 partner
b) a burgundy/green felted purse for my International Tote Swap partner
c) a beige messenger bag for my Knitted Purse Swap partner
5. Do you carry the bags that you make, give them as gifts, or both?
I usually give them in swaps. I have also knitted a couple for charity fundraisers. I usually carry the bag that I receive in a swap :)
6. What is your favorite felted bag that you have made for yourself?
I have only made one bag for myself - it was my first one. It is okay, but nothing to write home about. It is too shallow, but I use it sometimes for carrying a small project.
7. What are your favorite colors? Do you like bags in these colors or choose other colors?
My favorite colors are blue and green, but I love all colors, and there is not a single color that I dislike.
8. Chocolate: White, Milk, Dark, or not so much?
Dark, baby - it's good for your heart ;) or milk chocolate with Hazelnut.
9. Coffee, Tea, or Milk?
Coffee - preferably european style - very strong with cream. I don't do the brown water coffee served at most places in the US. Iced tea, especially sweet tea. Milk with hot out of the oven brownies.
10. Do you prefer sweet or salty treats? What kinds?
I prefer sweet over salty. Chocolate.
11. If you went into Bath and Body Works and could only come out with one item, what would it be and what would it smell like?
Brown sugar vanilla bubble bath. I also like their aromatherapy Sensual Jasmine stuff.
12. Do you enjoy any other crafts or hobbies? Do you collect anything?
I also cross stitch, quilt, and sew. I collect small glass ladybugs.
13. Are there any bag patterns you have not yet knit, but hope to someday?
I saw a really cool pattern for a grey felted cabled hobo bag in one of the knitting magazines at Borders last year, and have been kicking myself for not buying it ever since!! One day, that pattern and I will meet again, and it will be MINE, I say, MINE!!
14. What is currently OTN (on the needles) for you?
a) Natural Dye Studios Sock Club socks
b) Circle of Friendship socks
c) Nantucket Jacket
d) Baby Sac (a Phildar pattern - I am learning to knit in French)
15. What is your most recent finished object before that?
The green cabled purse for my Knitted Purse Swap 2 partner.
16. What's cutest: Puppies, Piggies or Pixies?
Puppies are very cute - I just love the way they romp and play and who doesn't love "puppy breath"?? Pixies are very cute as well, and I have a couple of pixie candle holders that I really like. Piggies ... well, piggies are good for breakfast. Let's just leave it at that.
17. Do you enjoy reading? Books, Magazines, or both?
Yes, I do enjoy reading, but I am kind of picky about my books. I like most magazines. I subscribe to Golf for Women, Interweave Knits, and Better Homes & Gardens.
18. Do you have any children? (kid-kind or pet-kind apply!)
I have 2 children who are grown and live independently. I live with my boyfriend, and he has two teenage sons that we spend time with on the weekends.
19. What are some of your favorite yarns for other projects?
It really depends on the project. Color, hand and drape are the most important factors. For baby items, I like to use Snuggly DK or Plymouth Cherub. For socks, I like superwash wool/nylon blend. For everything else, it depends on the look I am trying to achieve.
20. And for the final question, one I see debated all over: Novelty Yarn: Love it! Hate it! or It depends!
I really don't like novelty yarn scarves. I can't stand anything fuzzy near my face. I have seen some interesting bags with some novelty yarn carried along, and I would like to try that. So I guess I am in the "It depends" group.
About allergies and smoke:
I am highly allergic to cats, and the smell of cigarette smoke makes me nauseous.