Thursday, June 01, 2006

Trek Along With Me!

This is the first KAL I signed up for, so I will tell you about it, first!

I started knitting socks by knitting a pair of "house" socks using some Red Heart worsted. I chose that yarn because:

  1. It's cheap.
  2. It's worsted weight, so I could use the one pair of DPNs I already had - size 8.
  3. It was thick enough that I could really see what I was doing.
  4. I wasn't sure if I would like knitting socks (see #1).
  5. I didn't think they would actually fit my chubby legs (see #1).

And I was hooked! Uh-huh, I heart sock-knitting. I now own DPNs in all sock-knitting sizes, and have an entire bin devoted to sock yarn. So when I saw a KAL devoted to Trekking, I just had to sign up, right? Not only that, but I live in the beauteous town of Hammonton, with lots and lots of great trails (with lots and lots of blueberry bushes - snacks on the trail - BONUS!). So this KAL will fill two of my goals - knit up some of my Trekking, and get a little exercise along the way.

So, I dove into my stash, and found three balls of Trekking XXL

Should I go with the purply stripey, the pink or the patriotic red, white and blue? Hmmm. Well, my birthday is right around the 4th of July, and TRHM is taking me away to Mystic, CT, so if I use the RW&B, I'll have a new pair of socks to wear. Patriotic, it is! Today is the first day of the KAL, but it is also KnitChicks night, so I will have to wait to trek until this weekend (it will be rainy here until then). Stay tuned for progress pictures!

No comments: