Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sore hands

I knitted so much this weekend that by Sunday night, my hands were sore. I got some hand lotion, and TRHM gave me a nice hand massage while we watched a movie. I am working on my Knitted Purse Swap project and a Christmas present, since they are both surprises, I can't post progress pics. I am also working on my sock for my second Sock Wars target - I got down to the heel flap, and saw that I purled when I should have knitted in a couple of spots. I tried dropping the stitch and picking it back up, again, but it looked messy. So I ripped back to my boo-boo and fixed it. I love the color of this yarn, but I am not so crazy about the texture - it is Green Mountain Spinnery Cotton Comfort. Lisa said that it will soften up once it is washed, so a nice Euclan bath should take care of it. I only have about 1 1/2 inches to go on the sock and they are finished and I can assassinate my next target. But I have a little problem - I ran out of yarn!! YIKES!! Fortunately, Lisa bought it at a shop in Princeton, so I can just buzz over there and pick up another skein.

My knitted purse is coming along well. I really like the color of the yarn, and I think my swap partner will like it, as well. The pattern calls for some linen stitch at the edge, and that turned out really nice. I can see where it will add a lot of support to the upper edge.

The Christmas gift is coming out really well - I like the yarn, and when I washed my swatch in Woolite, it came out so cuddly soft! I am using Tahki Donegal Tweed that I bought in the market at KDO. The 2x2 ribbed edging seemed much narrower than the pattern measurements, but once I got past the edging, things are going according to the pattern. I did two swatches, one with size 8 but I didn't get gauge, and had to go down one needle size. With the size 7, I got both row and stitch gauge. I am using the new options needles from Knit Picks, and so far, I really like them a lot! They are pointier than other needles, which I like, because I normally knit a little on the loose side, and if the needles are too blunt, then I knit really loose!! The best part - when it was time to switch to the larger needles, I just unscrewed the tips and screwed on the next size! How easy is that?? I wasn't sure if I would like them, so I only ordered a couple of sizes of tips and cables, but I will probably buy some more.

I also have some other Christmas knitting that I will be starting this week. I am pretty sure that none of the recipients read my blog, but I'll be cautious with my progress pics, just in case! I am using a pattern that I bought at KDO, and I have some fab yarn in the stash. I need to use up some of my stash, and have decided to refrain from yarn buying this month. We are going to CT for a comic book show in three weeks, but I am pretty sure that there aren't any LYS near the show. And no, I'm not even going to check ;-) Next month, though, we will be in the suburbs of Chicago, in Shaumburg, so I will definately have to shop hop! I'll be ready for some more yarn by then, I'm sure of it!

When I get all of my Christmas knitting finished up, I will knit myself some socks. I bought a pair of purple slacks, and I don't have any purple socks to wear with them. I saw a very very interesting technique online today that I will have to try out. More on that later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm really curious about the technique!

I tried knitting for Christmas, but my granddaughter loved what I was knitting (she caught me at it) and I just couldn't wait! I'll have to do better than that if I want to have anything knit under the tree!