Sunday, October 08, 2006

Socktober Fest

Well, you all know by now that I am a joiner. Not necessarily a finisher ... but I'll join in on the fun any day of the week! LOL!! Well, after I assassinated Lisa in the Sock Wars, I read her blog and saw the cutest button for Socktoberfest. And I have lots of socks to knit, so I decided to join. I love, love, love Halloween! It is my favorite holiday of the year, and symbolizes the start of the holiday season for me. So the halloweeny witch button really got me! The first week is an introduction, and there are a few questions to be answered:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I was taught to knit by the uber-talented Jenn. We worked together at Wyeth Pharmaceuticals. She made the most amazing Fair Isle sweaters as bridesmaid gifts, and brought one in to show me. I was completely in awe, and decided to learn to knit. Jenn is a wonderful teacher, and embraces my "jump in with both feet" attitude. Lesson one was a scarf that I made for my daughter for Christmas. Lesson two was a hat on DPNs. From there it was easy to go on to socks.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

My first pair was a pair of house socks made with Red Heart varigated yarn in worsted weight. They were featured on my blog here. They have held up wonderfully, possibly because I haven't worn them. I remember being completely amazed that they actually fit me, and it was fun to watch them materialize.

What would you have done differently?

Absolutely nothing. They fit, and I will use them this winter.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

I have used Trekking, Cascade Fixation, Bollicino (100% superwash merino), and Cotton Comfort. I really like the Trekking, even though it can be tricky to match the stripes. I really like identical socks, and I'm not so crazy about fraternals, unless the striping pattern changes so frequently that it isn't that noticible. I really like self-striping sock yarn. I didn't like the Cascade socks that much. The Bollicino made wonderfully soft socks, that is what I used to assassinate Lisa. I am going to knit a pair for myself. The Cotton Comfort was the yarn she was using to make the socks for her target, and I finished them. I liked the colorway a lot, and I think they would wear really well.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I knit my socks. Up until I took over Lisa's socks, I had only used DPNs to knit them. She was using the Magic Loop, and so I gave it a try. I liked it a lot, and I'll use it again. I want to try the 2 socks on 2 circs method. I recently read an article on Knitty about using a double knitting method to knit two socks at the same time - one inside the other. How cool is that??

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

Hands down - heel flap! I especially like the eye of the partridge heel. I think it gives the sock a lot of character. I was never a clog wearer, until I knitted my socks and wanted to show them off! I think that an attactive heel is key.

How many pairs have you made?

I have made three pairs for myself, one pair for Cindy,one of the Knit Chicks, for pollyana last year, a pair for Lisa, and a third of a pair for Lisa's target, also named Lisa. I currently have two pair on the needles - my red white and blue trekking socks that I started for Trek Along With Me, and a gorgeous pair of mauve varigated. TRHM's oldest requested a pair of socks after he saw my Sock Wars socks, so I will have to start a pair for him, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a joiner, but I couldn't resist Socktoberfest! Especially since I already had 3 pairs done in October (children's and large gauge so it's not as much as it sounds like).

Enjoy Socktober!