Monday, January 15, 2007

Another Sock Knitter!!


This year, for Christmas, I gave my daughter, Cassie, a sock kit. I bought her four balls of superwash merino in a dk weight, Crystal Palace DPN's, Knit Socks! and Sensational Knitted Socks. I went with DPNs because I really don't think socks soar on 2 circulars, and there really isn't anything magical about The Loop. And, I think that knitting with DPNs is a key skill. A week ago, I gave her a sock lesson. This was really new, because Cassie was taught to knit English, and the only cast on she has ever used is knitting on. I taught her to knit Continental, and the long-tail cast on. I also taught her to cast onto four needles, not cast onto 1 needle and shift stitches.

She practiced and practiced, and yesterday, showed me her efforts. I think it is awesome! That is her boyfriend, Joe. He is an art student at Rutger's University.
Notice that the front door is open - and yes, that is a Christmas wreath on the door. The kitchen windows were open, too. This weather is just too weird!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you'll have to keep an eagle eye on your sock stash, Lia.

Lia said...

Nah - My sock stash is safely locked away in the storage unit ... and she lives 45 mins away ...

Anonymous said...

Great start on her socks!

Looking forward to seeing the Maple Syrup colorway sweater. The baby sweater looks like it will be adorable.

I think we have all the snow at our place!

A 30-something femme createrix said...

What a great teacher! Sounds like she's off to a great start :)